We are looking to hire a part-time sale associate; here are the details. (03-13-2023)
Horsefeathers has been owned by the Vaglienty family for nearly 40 years; we are a diverse retail business in downtown Waukegan. Originally established as a vintage goods and clothing store, we transitioned in the 90’s to become an “international bazaar”, selling products such as body jewelry, sage and smudges, crystals and stones, tapestries, incense, oils, pendants. Because of our reputation for great customer service, low prices, and quality products, we are a busy, fast-paced environment. On average we handle a customer every ten minutes; more than 300 individual items are sold each day.
We are a minority female-owned, LGBT+ supportive small business where we believe black lives matter, science is real, love is love, and women’s rights are human rights.
We take care of our employees. We exceed all Illinois requirements as it pertains to pay; you’ll start at $13.00 per hour (2023 minimum wage) and within 90 days be increased to $15.00 per hour. We pay bonuses for exceptional performance or during extra-busy shifts. You can look forward to increases at least annually and periodic bonuses. We make certain everyone gets one or two paid breaks per shift, depending on length of shift, and paid lunch breaks. You can expect to work 25 to 30 hours a week on average. To give you a little more about our company culture, from the day we closed in 2020 due to the pandemic until the day we reopened (April 2021), every employee received a paycheck.
Horsefeathers has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to any form of discrimination, harassment or bullying, whether from co-workers or customers, regarding age, beliefs, citizenship, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual conduct, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
We take health and safety seriously, especially as it pertains to SARS-COV-2. Our goal is to keep everyone healthy and safe! Some of our current policies:
- When the CDC Community Level is Medium or High, staff is required to wear KN95 masks; customers must wear masks when CDC community level is High. No exceptions.
- Employees must take temperature and respond to checklist questions before starting each shift.
- Hand sanitizer provided for use on entry, and for employees throughout the store.
- Individuals with fever, cough or any other sign of sickness are not allowed in the store.
- Maintaining six feet between others should be followed in the store wherever possible.
- All staff will be required to receive the SARS-COV-2 vaccinations and boosters, and a flu shot.
- Use or possession of weapons, alcohol, other drugs, or controlled substances during work hours is prohibited.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Primary: Assist customers in store in finding and selecting merchandise and answer customer questions
- Secondary: Bagging, Labeling, Stocking inventory, light cleaning (NEVER the bathroom!), organizing the store.
- As silly as this next statement seems, we are looking for people willing to WORK. When our employees are not assisting customers, they are expected to stock merchandise or carry out other tasks as directed by the owners. Some former employees thought this position would consist of standing around when not helping customers.
Qualifications / Requirements
- At least one year of prior retail store experience; cashier, restaurant, stock room, food service are not retail experience. Read below section for more details on that.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Pass a background check; drug screening; alcohol screening; fitness test; math skills test; attention to detail test.
- Must be fully vaccinated and boosted for SARS-COV-2 (COVID-19)
- Have a valid driver’s license or government issued ID.
- Have a reliable means to get to work.
- Knowledge of body jewelry preferred.
Preferred Job Experience
We are looking for a very particular set of skills in your job history. We’re looking to see recent (past three years) retail sales experience at a “high touch” retailer. Examples of retailers with a “high touch” customer service model: Victoria’s Secret, Hot Topic, Best Buy, Apple, Nordstroms, Macy’s, shoe stores, rue21. Think of stores where you are engaging with the customer, talking to them about what they need, having a discussion versus just pointing them in the right direction.
o Examples that are not “retail sales”: cashier, stockroom, warehouse, cook, food service, forklift operator, factory worker, security guard.
o Examples of companies that are not what we’re looking for: “big box” retailers (Target, Home Depot, Walmart), warehouse stores (Costco, Sam’s Club), drug stores, gas stations, convenience stores, food service / restaurants, grocery stores, discount/dollar stores.
Instructions: READ BEFORE FILLING OUT APPLICATION
- The interview process starts with your application! Make certain you fill out the entire application. Incomplete applications will most likely not be considered.
- Do not send us a resume, link to your Facebook job history, LinkedIn Profile, etc.
- Type or print all information clearly and legibly.
- Sign and email to Jim (click here for email) OR bring the application to the shop and hand it to Jim.
- Do not ask anyone at the shop about the status of your application.
- We will email you to set up a date and time for a phone or in person interview.
If interested, here’s the link to the PDF job application: Horsefeathers Job Application
Application deadline April 1, 2023